Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Perfect Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin pie is that perfect traditional autumn dessert, a must do every year. As much as baking your own pumpkin will always give you the greatest pie I must say that this simple recipe took me by surprise. Pumpkin pie is a delicate recipe that can be good, or it can be bad, but this recipe happens to have the perfect balance in spices, pumpkin and cream that leaves you the perfect tasting pumpkin pie. It doesn't have an overpowering spice taste, while maintaining that fall flavour, an ingredient in this pie that I absolutely love is the maple syrup.

Over the years my mom has become skeptical of pumpkin pie because she doesn't like the overpowering spice taste but this recipe even won her over, I made it another 4 times after the first and it was quickly finished each and every time. I love topping it with some whipped cream and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon for authenticity. Absolutely delicious and the perfect comfort food after a cool afternoon raking leaves.

One thing that I noticed is there's always a little extra filling, so when all your filling doesn't fit in the pie shell don't think you've done something wrong, just discard the extra (or eat it like my friend does when she makes it with me ;) and it'll come out just fine.

I also eliminated the cloves from the recipe because I find it more pleasant without but that's up to your taste so I will list it below incase that is a flavour you would like to add to yours. I find it quite nice to grind your own nutmeg if you have it on hand, otherwise already powdered works just fine!


Ingredients

  • 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves (I leave this out, I find it an overpowering spice)
  • dash salt
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 (15oz) can pumpkin puree (I only found 14 oz cans and even with thay you may have a little filling left)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup 35% cream
  • 1 unbaked 8 inch deepdish pie shell (make sure it's deepdish or the filling won't fit!)
  • Freshly whipped cream to top (or spray whip)
You can make your own whipped cream with 35% cream whipped until stiff with icing sugar to taste, generally you don't want too much sugar in whipped cream, use powdered sugar, granulated will make a grainy whipped cream.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2. Combine spices and sugar
3. In a seperate bowl combine pumpkin, maple syrup and vanilla, stir in eggs, spice mixture and cream
4. Pour into pie shell and bake for 15 minutes, reduce oven heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 1 1/2 hours

I like to refrigerate until completely cool before eating!

1 comment: